Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spreading the news about Studio-E

I really think today went very well with the Norwood High School Classes.

Today I met up with Laura to help promote Studio-e and the summer program for Drawing Stories. A lot of the talking was done by Laura, but I helped to present to the class some exercises for drawing Caricatures. Last night I went through my reference binder and drew a few people. It took about 12 drawings before it started getting back to me. I brought my favorite sketches I did last night to use as examples for the students.
The hard part really was some of the students not really interested in what Laura was talking about. But I had the easy job. I got to show off two of my recent sketch books that I color in with markers. The students loved them! I was really glad that it grabbed there attention to give them an idea of some skills set in place to see. I really need to get my teaching skills up. It is very intimidating to me though. I shouldn't be since they are like 12-18. But still find it hard to find the will to be completely confident at what I am saying and doing. But I really do think I do pretty well. So I am patting myself on the back for a first try with teaching in front of a class. I need to keep practicing on getting full attention from groups. That's what I really don't like. Less than 4 people I am ok, but 5-12 it gets really hard.

I am excited about the class going on for Studio-E this Summer, it will be really rewarding for me to have this experience and hopefully learn to challenge myself to taking on more teaching and mentoring roles.
It's going to take maybe a few more times to get my full confidence up though.

No comments: